Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Cranberry & Pear Instant Oatmeal (Bulk)

My kids love oatmeal especially when the weather turns cold.  I had bought some organic instant packets, but today I ran out.  I got the idea to make my own healthier kind of instant oatmeal using things that I have on hand.  I prefer the regular old fashioned oats to the instant oats.  Well this recipe has been kid tested and approved.
 
8 C. old fashioned oats
1-2 c. dried cranberries and pears, chopped
4 1/2 c. instant nonfat dry milk
1 c. nuts, I used 1/4 c. pepitas  (yes that is a seed) and 3/4 c. almonds, chopped
1/3 c. organic coconut palm sugar + 2 T. raw sugar
1/2 c. golden flax seed meal
1/2 c. chia seeds
1/8 c. cinnamon
2 t. salt (optional)
1 T. nutmeg
1/2 T. ground cloves
 
 
 
 
Toast nuts at 350 for 8-10 minutes.  Cool.
Mix together the dried fruit and the dry milk.  Combine the remaining ingredients and mix well.  Store in an air-tight container for up to 3 weeks.
 
To make single servings:
3/4 cup oatmeal mix to 2/3-3/4 cup water.  Microwave for 2 minutes.  I mix in a few frozen blueberries to quickly cool the oatmeal for my kids to eat.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment